Welcome to the our weekly newsletter
The MACC Minute for October 29, 2020. We hope it will inspire you to get involved.
News from our Food Pantry
Director of Services
Chef Ferdinand Cruz
Chef MACC Kitchen
Recipe Apple Chicken Stew
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- Minced fresh parsley
Mix first 4 ingredients. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer vegetables; sprinkle with half the salt mixture.
Toss chicken with oil and remaining salt mixture. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches. Add to slow cooker. Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider.
Cook, covered, on high 3 to 3-1/2 hours, until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.